Domain authority is a grading system for websites, with estimates between 0–100 of how well a website will rank on Google. Ideally, the higher the domain authority, the higher a site will perform in Search Engine Result Pages. When it comes to domain authority, the level of engagement of the content does not seem to play such a critical role.
Sometimes, websites with a low domain authority might have very engaging content, but still, rank lower than the sites with higher domain authority. Luckily, if you are nailing it with other SEO techniques and only lagging in your domain authority, your website is not a lost cause.
There are several ways you can increase your website domain authority and be deserving of the top positions on Google and other search engines. Find out below:
Publish high-quality content
In the digital space, there is no running from the fact that content is king. The kind of material you air out to your target audience always comes back to you, evident from the results you get from daily rank tracking. High-quality content is what attracts the right kind of audience to your site, providing you with the positive visibility you need to boost your domain authority. Some of the factors you should be looking into to produce high-quality material should be:
- Length – long-form content goes a long way in providing adequate value to users as regards the topic in discussion.
- Originality – you cannot be found contemptuous of originality and creativity by scouting duplicate material at any cost.
- Relevance – the content should not be off-topic or outdated as it will be useless to the target audience
Work on on-site SEO
Other than generating high-quality content, there is a lot you need to do to optimize your website for both search engines and your target audience. The on-site SEO tactics allow your website to be very valuable, not to mention, be the perfect solution to people’s problems. Key areas to look into regarding on-site SEO include:
- Keyword use – the keywords you use on your site should grab the attention of the right target audience, and merit you a position on the first page of Google’s SERP.
- Website design – your site should feature a design that is appealing to the eye, without being too flashy and distracting from the essence of your brand
- Mobile speed – a site that takes more than 3 seconds to open will only push your visitors away from your web pages, which, eventually, lowers your domain authority
- URL structure – if people cannot easily remember your URLs, then you have them all wrong. Good URLs are brief, clear, reflective of the content in the web page, and well-written to incorporate the primary keywords.
Enrich your internal link structure
It may not seem like much when you link your content to other pages on your website, but it contributes a great deal to high domain authority. Technically, what happens is that so many links will be pointing back to your site, which communicates to search engines that your website is worth the first position on SERP. A great example of a site that has a high domain authority thanks to internal linking is Wikipedia.
Earn external links
Now that your internal link structure is intact, you want to ensure your site is receiving a lot of backlinks to complement the other SEO efforts you are putting forth. External links speak volumes about your reputation in sharing relevant content, which is a nice route to follow in boosting your domain authority. Ideally, when other websites link out to your site, it implies that they have faith in the kind of material you share and can trust their audience to you. The more of these legit backlinks you have on your site, the better your domain authority will be.